Sunday 18 May 2014

Why God hates church

Does God hate church? In pre-Jesus times, religious festivals, Sabbaths, and 'assemblies' were the closest thing they had to 'church'. Here's what Isaiah records as God's word:
Stop bringing meaningless offerings!
Your incense is detestable to me.
New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations—
I cannot bear your worthless assemblies.
Your New Moon feasts and your appointed festivals
I hate with all my being.
They have become a burden to me;
I am weary of bearing them.
When you spread out your hands in prayer,
I hide my eyes from you;
even when you offer many prayers,
I am not listening.

Why does God feel this way? The answer is in very next line.
Your hands are full of blood!
Wash and make yourselves clean.
Take your evil deeds out of my sight;
stop doing wrong.
Learn to do right; seek justice.
Defend the oppressed.

God seems to resent our worship, when are doing wrong to our neighbours. Not too surprising, for a God who suggests 'love your neighbour as yourself'.

Amos also speaks God's word to those who "oppress the poor and crush the needy".
Away with the noise of your songs. I will not listen to the music of your harps. But let justice roll on like a river... You who trample the needy and do away with the poor of the land.
These days we have guitars instead of harps - but I think there's still a lesson for us here.

Jesus Wants to Save Christians book cover
In "Jesus wants to save Christians" the authors look at the United States in the context of these bible passages. But the USA is not alone.

Look around. We (and God) can see so much that is not right. So many instances of the poor and needy being oppressed rather than helped. While music is nice, there's something God loves more. People.

This is Part 1 of my review of Jesus Wants to Save Christians, by Rob Bell and Don Golden.
See Part 2 - When church is in trouble

No comments: